I wish I had learnt languages at school, because you never know where your career is going to take you."
Mark Hughes, football manager
The Modern Foreign Languages Department
- Jonathan Evans: BA (Hons), PGCE - Subject Leader,
- Susan Larkin: BEd (Hons)
- Vaughan Parry: BA (Hons), PGCE
- Juan Ordonez: Lic.Phil, PGD
Modern Foreign Languages at John Fisher
For further information on all matters relating to MFL at The John Fisher School please visit our French and Spanish blogs:
The Vision of the Modern Foreign Languages Department
- To ensure all boys are equipped with the necessary literacy skills in order to be able to communicate proficiently (written and oral) in the target language.
- To ensure all boys leave The John Fisher School with transferable skills.
- To create a highly effective team delivering outstanding lessons, thus creating a learning environment which provides opportunities to succeed.
Aims of the Modern Foreign Languages Department
- To provide an enjoyable and stimulating language learning experience for students of all levels of ability.
- To develop the ability to use the target language effectively for purposes of practical communication both within and outside the classroom.
- To establish the skills, language and attitudes required to promote and facilitate further study of the target language.
- To offer insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the target language is spoken.
- To encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning and to speakers of foreign languages and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations.
- To raise awareness of multicultural and gender issues.
- To establish an awareness of the language learning process and thereby facilitate the learning of other languages.
- To promote a range of learning styles, including collaborative work with peers and independent learning.
- To contribute to the general education of the pupils by promoting learning skills such as analysis, memorising, the drawing of inferences etc.
- To develop students' communication skills in general.